Welcome to a new Subscribers’ Gallery – for non-military vehicles
Each submission has a ‘gallery’ of thumbnails which you can click on to see an enlarged image along with some short text describing the model – enjoy!
My intention was to build, paint and weather as a vehicle that had spent its entire working life outside at one location (quarry or such like); serviceable but little regard for cosmetics. (plenty of online references showing vehicles in that state).
Primed and under coated with True Earth rust primer given a couple of coats of AK’s worn effects (I prefer this one because it allows you to wear through the paint colour without knocking off too many large lumps).
Yellow was MR Color acrylic yellow and overall weathering using weathering products and pigments from both AK and Ammo.
Some of its parts are snap parts, but nonetheless this model is a great model to have and it’s my second Peterbilt 359 model.
I used Krylon spray-paints for model kits, as well as Testors enamel paints and marker pens. Some decals came from other truck model kits, mainly from AMT’s Peterbilt 352 Pacemaker model kit. The model was shot in natural lighting with a Nikon D7100 DSLR camera. The interior of the cab is tan, the seats are gloss black and the silver parts were painted using Sharpie’s silver pen.
Hope you all like it?
There are many parts to it.That is a resin body and jib ,aluminium ladders ,chromed accessories, jewelled lights, rubber tyres and pipes,brass etch and white metal parts.
And with a full livery decal sheets.Not really for novices as it does test your abilities throughout the build.
It took me about a year to make as I didn’t rush it. But a journey not without many mishaps
Can be a little fragile but very satisfying to actually reach the end of the build.
Blower No.2 had been seriously damaged a couple of weeks earlier in the Ulster Grand Prix and attempts to repair it failed to meet the French Grand Prix deadline. Blower No. 4 was hastily stripped and prepared for the race. The second myth that came to light was that Tim Birkin was the only driver – ever – to have used the horn in a ‘Formula 1’ while overtaking another driver. Close examination of the reference pics show that the horns had been stripped from the car prior to the race along with the headlamps and the wiring taped to the chassis which I have reproduced.
I started the kit two years ago and finished it three days prior to SMW 2015. There is no aftermarket available for this kit which resulted in over 60 scratch built parts and conversions, the major ones being lead sheet used for the tonneau cover, re-spoked wheels, brass sheet passenger door, re-upholstered seats with Milliput, home mastered resin tyres and a wooden veneer floor. Paints used were Zero and Alclad2 with Miracle Masks used for the numbering.
Pipe lines, screws, decals, clear parts and a lot of sprue parts and even a real spring; the quality and state of the art manufacture is noticeable in this kit. The front screen is just held in by a click – no need for glue. The only mod I made was to drill out all the holes in the brake discs.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this kit and can say it’s one of the best kits I’ve made in a long time.
Used Zero Italian Red with two part clear, and polished.
Fun build, no issues with fit, although regrettably some parts lost, despite trying to ensure when cut from the sprue they didn`t fly across the room.
Used Zero White for frame and mainly Alclad 2 paints for engine etc.
One issue with front white decal, despite cutting and use of Micro Set and Sol decal softening solutions, I just couldn`t get it to sit properly, so gave up and simply used the number 9.
Also first time used carbon fibre decals, on next use need to avoid overlap, less forgiving than kit decals.
The kit is an original 1980s release so now well over 30 years old but in true Tamiya style still holds its own. At 380mm long it’s an impressive build and with full engine, gearbox and cockpit detail it builds into a fantastic replica straight out of the box. The only aftermarket parts used were yellow tube to replace the clear fuel lines provided in the kit and a set of new decals due to the age of those in the box.
Painting was done using Alclad II paints for the engine block and chassis with Zero paints 1980s Ferrari Red for the bodywork and Zero Clearcoat to seal in the decals. The wing elements are the kit chrome parts with a coat of Zero clear.
Decaled up as the No.12 car driven by Gilles Villeneuve the 312T4 is one of Tamiya’s best big scale F1 cars full of detail and a joy to build.
I used Zero Mica blue and Clear; polished with polishing kit and Tamiya compounds; no after parts, straight box kit.
Last time I completed a motorcycle was probably 30 years ago!!
The paints used for the tank and other panels are Tamiya Silver then sprayed over with Tamiya Clear Orange and Clear Yellow.
The figure is from the Legend range and painted in oils and Humbrol paints.