Published: Detail & Scale Aviation Publications
Book for iPad, iBook, Kindle and Mac
Author: Rock Roszak
Mac/i-Pad download reviewed here – price $9.99USD (price may vary slightly from country to country)
Review by Geoff Coughlin (December 2017)
Our sincere thanks to Rock Roszak at Detail & Scale for supplying our download – you can see a lot more at their website and buy the downloads at the Detail & Scale website.
Here’s what’s in this book – info from Detail & Scale:
Colors & Markings of the F-102 Delta Dagger is the second book in Detail & Scale’s Digital Colors & Markings Series covering iconic military aircraft of the 20th Century.
Between 1984 and 1994, Detail & Scale produced 24 titles in our Colors & Markings Series of books, but the series was discontinued because of limitations then existing in the printing business. With the advent of digital publications, this acclaimed series has returned, and this second volume in the series shows the benefits of digital publishing at its best.
The book covers the three primary color schemes used on the F-102 Delta Dagger in detail, and provides coverage of every operational squadron that flew the famed Deuce. Sixty-five fighter interceptor squadrons are covered spanning the five major commands that operated the F-102: Air Defense Command (ADC), Alaskan Air Command (AAC), United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE), Pacific Air Forces (PACAF), and the Air National Guard.
Colors & Markings of the F-102 Delta Dagger comprehensively covers this iconic member of the Century Series of fighters with over 370 pages, 520 photographs, 352 of which are in color, 48 full color aircraft profiles, and additional illustrations including paint diagrams.
Along with the first volume in the series, Colors & Markings of U. S. Navy F-14 Tomcats, Part 1: Atlantic Coast Squadrons, this series sets the standard for covering squadron usage of iconic military aircraft.
The book is available for $9.99 from both Apple and Amazon:
Apple iBook (iPad or Mac): https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/colors-markings-of-the-f-102-delta-dagger/id1297472948?mt=11
Amazon (Kindle App for almost any device or computer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KLTCQD/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1508441718&sr=1-1
OK, so what do we think?
Exceptional! That’s what we think – in every respect.
This is the latest in a number of e-books we have reviewed from Detail & Scale and like the others, they are exceptional for the following reasons:
- Coverage – all aspects of the type are covered making them a one-stop-shop for modelling reference as far as colours and markings are concerned
- Quality of production – excellent quality throughout – full colour and sharp images – many of which are unique
- Profiles, drawings, reference for the real aircraft covering the angles and areas of most interest to scale modellers
- Accessible to more people and page count – you would have to pay so much more for a hard copy book covering the same content and the cost would be prohibitive for most people. So it doesn’t matter if you don’t have to much to spend on reference, you can get so much more from one outlay – exceptional value for money
- Subject choice – with models of the famous F-102 Delta Dagger available now (the MENG and Revell 1:72 kits are excellent) or in the past, many modellers will have one or more in their stash, making this a great choice for this digital book
- Readily available when you want it, wherever you want it – a bit like SMN really in this and some other respects. Whatever device you want to download it onto it will be there whenever and wherever you need to see it.
I simply love this series and I just hope that it continues to grow – take a look at the photos here and especially the link above to the Detail & Scale website where you can sample this and all the other titles from this publisher.