Publisher: Detail & Scale Aviation Publications
Book for iPad, iBook, Kindle and Mac
Art by: Rock Roszak
Mac/i-Pad download reviewed here – price $9.99USD (price may vary slightly from country to country)
Review by Geoff Coughlin (January 2018)
Our sincere thanks to Rock Roszak at Detail & Scale for supplying our download – you can see a lot more at their website and buy the downloads at the Detail & Scale website.
A quick trip and click on the link above will bring you all you need to know about this excellent new digital book! Just look at the visual above showing the huge difference digital media can bring – masses of great up-to-date high quality photography, information and content for the same price of the old paper version – simply no contest and the publishers should be applauded for their efforts again here.
Here’s what’s in this book – info from Detail & Scale:
Colors & Markings of U. S. Navy F-14 Tomcats, Part 2: Pacific Coast Squadrons is the third book in Detail & Scale’s Digital Colors & Markings Series covering iconic military aircraft of the 20th Century. It is the follow-on to the highly successful Colors & Markings of U. S. Navy F-14 Tomcats, Part 1: Atlantic Coast Squadrons. Between 1984 and 1994, Detail & Scale produced 24 titles in our Colors & Markings Series of books, but the series was discontinued because of limitations then existing in the printing business. With the advent of digital publications, this acclaimed series has returned, and this third volume in the series shows the benefits of digital publishing at its best. Our second book on the F-14 provides enhanced coverage of every active and Reserve fighter squadron that flew the Tomcat with the Pacific Fleet, the adversary units that flew the aircraft, and the various west coast Navy flight test units, along with NASA, that flew Grumman’s swing-wing fighter.
The book begins with an in-depth look at the stencils and standard markings displayed on the three primary color schemes used on the F-14. Colors & Markings of U. S. Navy F-14 Tomcats, Part 2: Pacific Coast Squadrons comprehensively covers this iconic Navy aircraft with detailed historical notes, over 700 color photographs, 9 full color profiles, and 16 enhanced drawings of informational and emergency markings from official Navy technical documents.
Combined with ‘Colors & Markings of U. S. Navy F-14 Tomcats, Part 1: Atlantic Coast Squadrons’, this two-part reference is the most comprehensive treatment ever published of the markings used on the F-14 Tomcat during its more than 34 years of operational use, and provides the reader with over 1,400 color photographs, 35 color profiles, and nearly two dozen technical drawings.
For your further information, here are some links:
OK, so what do we think?
Exceptional! That’s what we think – in every respect.
This is the latest in a number of e-books we have reviewed from Detail & Scale and like the others, they are exceptional for the following reasons:
- Coverage – all aspects of the type are covered making them a one-stop-shop for modelling reference as far as colours and markings are concerned and there’s their Part 1 featuring the Atlantic Squadrons to seek out too!
- Quality of production – excellent quality throughout – full colour and sharp images – many of which are unique
- Profiles, drawings, reference for the real aircraft covering the angles and areas of most interest to scale modellers
- Accessible to more people and page count – you would have to pay so much more for a hard copy book covering the same content and the cost would be prohibitive for most people. So it doesn’t matter if you don’t have to much to spend on reference, you can get so much more from one outlay – exceptional value for money
- Subject choice – with models of the famous F-14 Tomcat readily available many modellers will have one or more in their stash, making this a great choice for this digital book
- Readily available when you want it, wherever you want it – a bit like SMN really in this and some other respects. Whatever device you want to download it onto it will be there whenever and wherever you need to see it.
I simply love this series and I just hope that it continues to grow – take a look at the photos here and especially the link above to the Detail & Scale website where you can sample this and all the other titles from this publisher.
PIC Detail & Scale Logo