…from Black Base to a realistic weathered aircraft
Sunday 27 May 2018
TIME: 9.30 – 16.00 (please arrive at 9.00am)
We have managed to arrange a special discounted bed and breakfast rate for the Jubilee Conference Centre at Nottingham University for anyone who wants to stay for the SMN Modelling in a Day Workshops. You need to call the conference centre direct and say you are booking bed and breakfast accommodation for the Scale Modelling Now Modelling in a Day Workshops on Sunday 4 March 2018. The rate you should be quoted is our agreed rate of £95.00 for single occupancy (it’s a little more for double occupancy) and this includes bed and breakfast at the venue. You can also ask for a dinner, bed and breakfast rate that is very good value.
The number to call is: 0115 876 0862
A FREE Revell Focke-Wulf Fw190D-9 in 1:48 scale will be sent to everyone who books their place on Aurelio’s workshop to prep beforehand and bring on the day.
Airfix have kindly agreed to supply a great new-tool 1:48 scale Hawker Sea Hurricane to give to everyone who books onto this workshop!
So, book today and you will get TWO FREE KITS!!!
We are flying in Aurelio from Italy especially to run your workshop and you are in for a Reale treat! He is one of the best aircraft scale modellers I have seen and he’s going to be joining us for this great workshop – definitely not one to miss!
The workshop will cover from the start to the end the airbrushing technique called “Black Basing”; Late war Luftwaffe camo will be done free hand, with bare metal underwing surface weathering included, and subsequent weathering of the plane.
- Basic camo paint with airbrush
- Bare metal parts paint and weather
- Generic weathering on the plane for a realistic finish
- I will also bring a 1:32 Luftwaffe fighter (D-9) ready painted to weather as well so you can see how to do this on a larger scale model.
What do I need to do beforehand and bring on the day?
- Your Revell Focke-Wulf Fw190D-9 model (that we’ll send you as soon as we receive them from Revell and as soon after you sign up for your workshop as we can. Just assembled and primed using an acrylic primer – no solvent-based primers – Tamiya, Vallejo, Kcolors or other acrylic primers are fine
- Bring another 1:48 scale aircraft model, ideally a WW2 fighter to work on, painted and decaled and sealed with an acrylic varnish (satin or preferably matt/flat). The weathering products to be used are both water and solvent-based (bring any of these you have)
- Leave off any small details that could get broken off as you’ll be handling your model(s) a lot during the creation of these effects
- Paint for painting your Fw190D-9– suggest any camo colours you like. Aurelio will be using Gunze/Kcolors
- Your modelling box with any tools and materials you have that you might want to use, ask questions about or want to try out and get some advice about paint brushes for applying oil, washes and other effects
- An airbrush and compressor (the ‘silent’ type – no noisy ones please!)
- Bring airbrush cleaner or alternative
- A set of Lifecolor Liquid Pigments Rain & Dust (we know that The Airbrush Company stock Lifecolor paints)
- A set of AK-Interactive Aircraft Engine Effects Weathering Set (Air Series) – or Mig Ammo corresponding
- Bring oil paints (ideally Abteilung): Dk grey and Dk brown; white; Tan; Black; bring enamel thinners
- For exhaust staining, bring Tamiya/Gunze/Kcolors flat Black, Red Brown, White, Clear Orange and Smoke
- Bring a selection of brushes, some small to medium brushes plus one old with stiff bristles worn/cut down.
- Bring a fine paint brush (size 00) for paint chipping
- Can of hairspray (any make will do but I use Treseme Salon Finish No.3 firm hold) or any chipping fluid (Ak or Ammo Mig)
- Bring silver acrylic paint (ideally Lifecolor) that’s brush-paintable
- Bring some sponge e.g. the grey sponge that comes with Eduard resin sets is ideal.
How are the workshops run?
Plenty of demonstrations by your group tutor(s) along with skills practice for you! That means individual help and coaching to help you practice and develop your skills with tips and advice, all in a friendly and supportive environment. Just ask anyone who’s attended one of our workshops and do take a look at what others have said before – just follow the link from this page – here’s what Mike M. said from his experience in October 2017…
If you have any questions at all, just ask via the contact form page in SMN.
BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW – limited to only 20 modellers for this workshop
Please fill out the booking form below and you will then be redirected to pay securely via PayPal (please note you do not need to have a PayPal account, you will be able to pay via credit/debit card)