Welcome to the Subscribers’ Figures Gallery.
Each submission has a ‘gallery’ of thumbnails which you can click on to see an enlarged image and read the short text describing the model – enjoy!
Life Miniatures – The Few, scale 1:10. He is painted mainly in oils over Alclad primer with acrylics only being used on the oxygen hose. Printers inks and oils used for metals.
Hope you like it!
The painting is done in my preferred acrylics, painted in Vallejo and Citadel Colour and a base coat of Humbrol matt pale grey. Once I had identified any flaws and sorted them I started with the colours, with the trousers and boots. To get the blue grey I used a Citadel grey paint that was the almost the correct colour, this was then highlighted and blended using lighter shades of the base coat. The muddy look to the knees was blended into the paint as I went along (Vallejo Khaki Grey and leather brown). I base-coated the jacket straps with a mixture of White, Khaki, Black and Neutral Grey- this is an off-white colour, a tip I picked up from Raul Garcia Lattore. I then started to lay down the red for the tunic this was painted with Blood Red, and Scorched Brown, and black, (I love the names of some of the Citadel paints). I painted the musket using Scorched Brown and Vallejo’s Black Brown as the base coat and then highlighted using less Vallejo, and adding German Camo Beige, and a smidge of white.
The metal work was base coated with matt black and, then given a dry brush of Oily Steel and Dark Prussian Blue, and then the worn edge was painted with Natural Steel. The jacket was then attacked again highlighting and shadowing the red tunic. I started by painting the jacket with less black and brown in and more red, this came to a red that looks right; to shadow this I added Black and Brown Violet to the colour. This was applied in very thin washes to give the hint of a shadow and not make it too stark a contrast.
The skin tones look very pale on this piece, it was because of the colours I used, bleached bone with Sunny Skin tone and a little Scorched Brown, this was lightened up, using the same technique a before, applying, lighter tones in washes, and picking out the high lights, such as the nose, cheekbones and chin.
The base is made up of Milliput for the ground work and balsa wood for the fence.
Many thanks Chris corbishley
Here I have used Vallejo acrylics mounted onto a block of frosted acrylic. Really enjoyed doing this my first 200mm bust I have learnt a lot.
Hope you like it? Jason Z.
Having for umpteen years built model aeroplanes of various types (flying, static – usually; wooden, metal or plastic), I decided it was time for a change so I built a figure. The next one was an improvement. Gradually they began to look less like Picasso paintings and more like small versions of the real thing.
Then I saw an advert for a 90mm metal knight on foot and another of the same scale but on horseback. Sending the wife and kids out to work and visiting friends so we got free meals I saved enough to purchase same.
Building those models was sheer pleasure if only for the fact that no-one was leaning over my shoulder saying ” That’s the wrong green” or “That rivet is 1/2 mm too far left”. I could splash paint and polish metal to my heart’s content.
After building them and getting some quite flattering comments such as: “At least it’s better than your last effort”, I decided to try my hand at diorama. (Wow!) Langley Miniatures have a set of figures for St. George and the Dragon. Being a Royalist and frightfully patriotic I sent for it. Mostly it was a “curate’s egg”. The right arm would only hold the lance vertical, so changes had to be made. i.e. break the lance and draw the sword. It all glued together with very little need for filler. However, the base seemed incomplete. Here’s the ghoulish bit. Border Miniatures do SKULLS among their accessories.
So just imagine me – sitting in my little room, miles from anywhere, moving dragons, knights, skulls etc., chuckling to myself, while I revel in the world of Merlin, King Arthur, St. George and Co.
At least no-one can say “That is the wrong colour”, because they are all figments of my imagination.
Yours from the nether world…
Pre-shading and drybrush highlights enhance the spacesuit and the visor is coated in Alclad Holographic Chrome. Some small scratch building of the hoses and connections just detail up what is a very basic model.
The section of Lunar Lander leg is covered in tinfoil prior to painting and adding retaining straps. The base was coated in watered down PVA glue before a liberal sprinkling of Baby Powder to give a more fine dust appearance, before various shades of gray are sprayed at random over the surface.
Enjoyable in the end, Mick S.