Welcome to the Subscribers’ Maritime Gallery.
I also replaced and added some of the parts in the masts and ECM aerials which I scratch built that are on upper superstructure.
At over 50 inches in length it’s very impressive as to actual vessels and having seen one of these when I was in the States (modernised version) it was impressive.
The build was pretty straightforward and for painting I opted to use the Lifecolor Kreigsmarine set number 2, U-boatwaffe and my advice is to only thin these paints with their own thinner. It went down beautifully and I would advise is to let it fully cure over night; it’s fragile and it chips really easily.
Ok once painted it was time to get busy weathering and rusting, I firstly sprayed the streaks down the hull sides using the hull colour slightly lightened then going a little darker here and there to give a random unevenness. Then Mig Light and Dark Rust streaking enamels. I did spray a little Future on the conning tower so I could apply the decals they were a little on the thick side but went down without any drama then a quick squirt with some matt varnish. Add a little more rust streaking and that was pretty much it, just flags and aerials wires to add, the flags are made with very very thin lead not the stuff you buy from model suppliers this stuff comes from rolls of lead I use in my every day job as a lead worker. The aerials are made using fine Easy Line and the insulators are small blobs of white glue painted to look like wood.
Hope you like it?
Just to finish it off it’s fully radio controlled!!!
I have also used the Shapeways 3-D printed 1:144 scale U-Boat crew set that has 30 different crew figures, all with non-regulation headgear.
Take a look at the website for the figures – Shapeways.
Thanks Werner and keep up your extraordinary work. G
The assembly was straightforward with just the torpedo propellers requiring some care in removing from the sprue and subsequent cleaning up. Three grab handles made from thin wire were added to the hull and conning tower. Some lines were engraved around the torpedoes at the front and rear.
I found a suitable clear bubble from a spare missile tip, to replace the solid kit observation dome. The sub and torpedoes were sprayed with Humbrol gloss grey and then shaded with a lighter Medium Sea Grey.
When all this had dried, Klear was sprayed overall to protect the enamel paint. A wash of burnt umber oil paint was applied, followed by some paint chipping with dark grey paint
I added some rust stains by applying spots of burnt umber oil paint and then dragging them down using a dry brush. The model was then sprayed with a coat of Humbrol matt varnish.
A wooden base was made up, with brass rods for supports. A most enjoyable project!
I’ve done mine in Dark Blue and Haze Grey as I read on the internet that documents have now been found that confirm Arizona was repainted in blue prior to the attack on Pearl Harbour. Hope you like her.
All the best, Mike Moore
MTB 234. She is depicted making a fast getaway after a torpedo attack. A joy to build.
All the very best, Mike Moore