Welcome to the Subscribers’ Armour Gallery U-Z
Each submission has a ‘gallery’ of thumbnails which you can click on to see an enlarged image along with some short text describing the model – enjoy!
Operation “Frühlingserwachen” Vilonya area, Hungary. March 1945
Hope you like it!
Thanks to Paweł Mierzyński for taking these photographs.
Hope you like it.
This great little kit is full of details including a nice engine. I’ve cut away a side panel to make the engine visible. I’ve also added some small extras on this kit like the Resicast radio. The Lee Enfield rifles are old ones from Hornet and the two BREN’s are from Dragon. (The Riich one lacks details). The rest is strait from the box.
On this set of photos the front is still loose because I might add a couple of figures.
The painting has been done with Tamiya Acryls:
Base Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green lighted with XF-21 Sky (3:2) with some XF-26 Deep Green to make it a bit greener.
Weathering has been done with oils and AK Interactive Rust and Dust deposits. Details has been painted with Vallejo acryls.
I hope you like it.
This kit is the Meng VsKfz 617 experimental mine clearing vehicle built more or less straight out of the box. The kit was very simple to build and aside from a couple of weld marks I don’t think that there is much that needs to be added. One odd thing about this kit is that the designers have chosen to incorporate weights into the track shoes on the driving and steering wheels. This adds a great deal of weight to the model, (and presumably adds to the cost of the kit) and I think that the wheels need to be very securely fixed in place to prevent them parting company with the rest of the model.
The vehicle underwent trials in 1942 so I have assumed that the overall colour would have been early war grey rather than the dark yellow used later in the war. The markings I have added are purely fictional as the few wartime photos that I could find of this vehicle suggest that no markings were carried at all – at least at the time it was photographed.
I used this model as an experiment with using dots of oil paint blended into the paintwork to add depth to the finish. I’ve used this technique many times before and in this case I used Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Prussian Blue. However, here I decided to use differing amounts of each colour on some of the panels in order to give some of them different shades from others. The effect was lost somewhat under a coat of varnish, but I found it quite pleasing nonetheless.
The model looks very different from the rest of the armour in my display cabinet – this was a very peculiar looking vehicle.
This kit is the Hobby Boss Vickers Mk1 built more or less straight out of the box. This is a nice simple kit, though I must admit that the tracks gave me a few headaches. The idler wheels at the front are mounted on two very delicate thin rods, but could probably be made to slide backwards and forwards if you assemble them very carefully. I glued mine in place before fitting the tracks, but if you can I’d advise trying to leave them moveable as they can then be used to tension the tracks.
As I produce articles for modelling magazines from time to time, I find that I don’t experiment much with new techniques in case it all goes horribly and disgustingly wrong and I ruin a model that I’ve been given to build. However, I’m now making more of an effort to try new things (you may be able to tell from the dry brushing that I’m still well and truly stuck in the 1980s). In this case I’ve had a go at using an enamel wash to add a little dirt and grime to the finish before adding my usual oil paint pin wash.
Rush Hour – 1945
Dragon kit 1:72 scale with Preiser & Milicast figures
Dry Country – Bad to the bones…
Revell kit 1:72 scale with Preiser figures
The Fallen King – What took you so long?
Revell kit 1:72 scale with Preiser figures
The Pigs of War – What’s for lunch?
Dragon kit 1:72 with Milicast figures
The Repair Shop – Fort Worth Training facility, Kentucky USA 1942
Scratch-built 1:72 plus resin extras
Knock knock, who’s there? – Berlin 1942
Italeri kit 1:72 with Preiser & Milicast figures
Paint: Tamiya, Lifecolor | Extras: Tamiya stowage
The kit was built straight from the box and is being used to raise money for the Help for Heroes charity. After I have entered the kit in a couple of competitions it will be auctioned and the monies raised will be donated to Help for Heroes.
The kit is good in accuracy and build quality, but there is an error with the extra frontal armour in that Academy have moulded the armour too wide by about 3MM. This necessitated me cutting a 3MM section out of the armour and rejoining together to make it fit on the kit. The only other issue was the kit decals which were both thick and ripped very easily. However both issues were overcome by careful handling and use of Mr Mark decal softener.
The base is made from a commercially available cut MDF base and the terrain is made using a mixture of material from the Treemendus and Javis Scenics ranges.
The AFV kit is a good kit with great details. The only 2 downside things are the mesh provided in the kit which wasn’t correct and the decals.
The addition of the PE set helps to make the racks on the turret which are typical Dutch.
Finishing has been done with Tamiya acrylics and some minor weathering.
Vulcan presently produce 3 military motorcycle kits, this is the first of theirs that I have made. Superb value at £12 and the kit includes 3 sprues of plastic parts, 4 sheets of etch and steel, metal seat springs, decal sheet and instruction sheet. The kit goes together nicely and I used a combination of Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics along with Games Workshop washes and Mig Pigments powders.
The only extras I added were fuse wire for cables, electrics and spark plug leads. I have not as yet put the model on a base as I am presently painting a resin figure to go with the finished motorcycle.