Welcome to the Subscribers’ Armour Gallery N – P
Each submission has a ‘gallery’ of thumbnails which you can click on to see an enlarged image along with some short text describing the model – enjoy!
I was concerned about using the rubber band type tracks but they’re well detailed and after gluing them in position with liquid poly they look pretty good. Just need to place it on a nice little display base which I’ll start work on next (maybe?) if I don’t get side tracked by another project🤔
After much fiddling and fettling I have finished the Miniart 1:35 Panzer IIID, yes the one with the funny suspension system. The Germans trialled a number of different suspension systems for their Panzer III, this had paired wheels on bogies with leaf springs and dampers. I think only 15-30 B to D types were built before settling on torsion bars in the E. Nevertheless although a trials vehicles they were pitched into the invasion of Poland. The figures are from Miniart too.
As you may know, Miniart does not consider structural strength in their assemblies and tolerances here can be as little as 0.2 mm. But to their credit things do in deed fit!
Hope you like it?
The kit was easy to build though care was needed with the etched frames for the two smoke canisters on the rear of the hull. I replaced the etched brass retaining straps with self-adhesive foil which was easier than bending and attaching the kit parts.
The grab rails were replaced with 0.5mm brass rod. I also replaced the etched brush guard over the headlight with 0.5mm rod and thin plastic sheet.
I used Halford’s Grey Metal Primer on the metal parts and Halford’s Grey Plastic Primer sprayed over this to cover the rest of the model.
The base colour was Tamiya Dark Green (XF61). The tracks were sprayed with a 50:50 mixture of Matt Black (XF1) and Nato Brown (XF68). This was also used to shade the model reducing the need for washes. A light over-spray of Nato Green (XF67) was applied over this. Nato Green mixed with Yellow / Green (XF4) was applied sparingly and randomly over this to finish off the scheme.
I limited weathering to some general discolouration using pastel chalks and some mud spatters made by dragging a brush loaded with a slurry of earth coloured pigments across a piece of scrap sprue.
I applied random patches of earth coloured pigment to the tracks. Vandyke Brown and Lamp Black oil paints were mixed and heavily thinned as a wash to add depth to the recessed track detail. Powdered graphite was rubbed onto the outer surfaces of the tracks using my fingertip and onto the metal areas of the tools using a rubber oil painting brush.
Hope you like it… Ian R.
Here are pictures of my Panther made in 2009. The model is the older DML Panther Ausf. A early model (1:35th scale), updated with Fruil tracks, RB Model barrel and part fenders and side skirts. The zimmerit was made with Greenstuff and magic sculp putty. The model was painted with the use of color modulation (this was my first try, before I made the Soviet Pz IV E) with Tamiya acrylics. The weathering was done with oils and Vallejo pigments and still water.
Resin turret with moulded in battle damage.
Chalk camo, rust and smoke over an oil washed base-coat with some oil rust streaks.
Wow! Incredible stuff!
Here’s my Tamiya 1:35 Panzer II AusfG Tank “I’ve had enough”. The kit goes together well and I wanted to create a scene that had some meaning and a story behind it – hope you like it?
The oil drums are from my spares box; I think they are Italeri as is the lamp post – the tools inside are either scratch built or Tamiya. These are painted darker as if they are in shadow inside the building, as in the floor it actually gets lighter as you go towards the door.
It has drawn some attention at a show, just because it has a couple of icicles on it, these are made from clear plastic sprue from a truck kit, coated with super glue and left to drip down, this gives the ice a sparkle and an uneven look – took about an hour to get the look right.
…and I even superglued my hand to the table top, doing it, placed my hand on a drip spot!
Thanks Per OL.
The modifications were the armour texture and the engine deck grills replaced with plastic card items. Paint finish was done with Tamiya colours; light pin washes, subtle weathering and dry brushing. Another not-new kit but one which builds into a very nice representation of the real vehicle
Regards, Bill C.
Regards, Andrew E.