Feature Article with Calum Gibson
Just before we get started, here’s a look at how it all turned out…
After a long drawn-out big jet build I felt like I needed to get a quick and easy build under the belt.
I had a couple of the new Airfix Vampires in my “For Sales” pile that weren’t looking like being sold anytime soon and after looking at the plastic over few beers one evening I figured it looked simple enough that I could it smash it together in a couple of weeks.
A mate also informed there was an aftermarket decal option for an RNZAF FB.5, and that I can build the FB.5 from the box.
The plan was, bar decals, this was going to be right from the box. As such I figured I’d just follow the instructions. Things went together pretty quickly although I did waste some time trying to hide the join lines in the intake tunnels. That was pretty pointless as you can’t see much in there once the intake face is on.
The kit decal on the plastic looks as good as you can get. Results like this are why I am a fan of decals over raised decals for instrument panels.