Full Review with Dave Coward
A quick note from Geoff C…
This Tamiya kit has certainly caused a stir amongst modellers and for all the right reasons – here’s Dave’s completed model – love it!
Now let’s see what all the noise is about – over to you Dave…
Background – from Tamiya
The P-38 Lightning was developed by Lockheed in response to a 1937 proposal from the United States Army Air Corps. Its twin V12 engines were housed one each in twin booms that stretched back to the tailplane, flanking a central nacelle containing the cockpit and weaponry. A combination of superb range, firepower and carrying capacity ensured that the P-38 was a superior fighter-bomber, and it made a considerable impact after joining fighting in Europe in 1942. It was also active in the Pacific War from late that year, its escapades including the shooting down of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto in 1943 that provided a significant morale boost for the Allied cause.
About the model…
- This is a 1:48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 240mm, width: 330mm
- Exhaustive studies of actual P-38 aircraft enabled this precise recreation of the distinctive twin boom aircraft form, with particular highlights being early model slimline engine cowlings, wing shape and rounded canopy design
- Integrated landing gear bay and wing spar parts ensure sturdy assembly and accurate recreation of angle
- Choose between P-38F and P-38G canopy designs, with each able to be assembled open or closed
- The detailed cockpit features recreations of the control wheel, bulletproof glass plate, rear-mounted radio equipment and more
- One-piece tailplane horizontal stabilizer slides on and is secured by rudder components
- Metallic finish decals are used on main and nose landing gear strut cylinders
- The nose has depictions of four 12.7mm machine guns and the 20mm cannon
- Weights are included to ensure correct balance of the model when on display
- Comes with a seated pilot figure, two marking options and an informative background information leaflet in four languages.
- Eduard Brassin Weighted Wheels 648515
- Eduard Brassin Superchargers 648519
- Eduard Interior EDFE1042
- Eduard Seatbelts EDFE1043
- Master Metal Gun Barrels MR48023
- Xtradecal X48214 P-38F/G/H LIGHTNING PART 1