More of our Subscribers’ amazing aircraft: K-L
The Hasegawa Ki-100 OTSU is a beautiful kit, as is the case with all of Hasegawa’s Japanese Army and Navy offerings.
Prior to any construction, the entire airframe was riveted using a 0.75 riveting wheel. Once this was completed, I lightly sanded the parts and scrubbed them with a toothbrush in plain water to remove any residue from the rivet holes and panel lines.
The cockpit was completed with the standard kit parts with the exception of a set of scratched seat belts.
Construction was relatively straight forward, though special care needs to be taken when joining the wing upper and lower parts. The Ki-100’s wings are quite long and thin in profile, so I cemented them in stages, starting at the wing root, and working my way out to the tip. By cementing a small section at a time, I was able to keep the wings straight, even though there was a small amount of warping on my copy. The wing assembly to fuselage joint again needed some care, though with a bit of patience and test-fitting, I ended up with a satisfactory result.
Painting consisted of a Mr.Color Super Metallic Silver primer coat, over which I sprayed 2 light coats of hairspray, for later chipping. The base colour of the aircraft was Tamiya JA Green (XF13) with a little brown added. This was firstly sprayed as a light coat, barely covering the silver primer. This was then chipped using plain water and my selection of old brushes I reserve for chipping duties. A third light coat of hairspray was then applied, prior to the second colour coat. This second colour coat was intentionally applied in a more random manner, trying to achieve darker and lighter areas on the surface. The model was then chipped again, primarily in the same areas as the first run, though certain areas were expanded to give some depth to the effect.
All markings were airbrushed on with the exception of the tail, where I used the Lifelike decals.
The remainder of the kit was box-standard with the exception of the sliding canopy. This was taken from a Rob Taurus vac formed offering.
Final touches included airbrushed exhaust stains, and aerial wiring achieved with Ezy-Line.
Hasegawa 1:72 scale kit. Kawasaki Ki-61-ⅠTei Type 3 Fighter “Hien”(Tony)
I made a diorama. The theme is I.J.A Hikou Dai 17th Sentai Layte Island 1944 (I.J.A 17th Fighter Group Layte Island 1944)
I am painting with a brush and I use decals. The base is handmade and also
painted using a brush.
Thank you for looking!
Hello fellow glue and paint sniffers!
I’d like to show you the first helicopter I have ever made. It’s Italeri’s Kamov Ka-50 Alligator in 1:48th scale.
The kit itself is quite the challenge and requires a lot of putty (in my case then ?) and patience to get it seamless and right.
Extras I have used for this kit is an Eduard PE set (very nice stuff), an Aires resin replacement cannon, a resin detail set from Armycast and also a Neomega resin seat. Paints used are Gunze and dark wash from AK Interactive. Decals are from Begemot.
I hope you enjoy the pictures and have fun!
The kit is based on the Kinetic Kfir C2/C7 kit with a resin fuselage in front of the intakes and a resin spine. So the first thing to do is cutting the kit fuselage into pieces. This in turn requires some filler and sanding later on.
Another specialty is the vacu canopy, which I strengthened with some plastic strips.
Otherwise a fantastic kit with good quality resin parts.
In the meantime the South American variations of this bird have also been released by Wingman.
After building a number of many fast modern jets I felt the need for
something a little older and perhaps with a propeller and my eye fell on the 1:48 Academy F4U-4B Corsair ‘Korean War Variant’. This is a pretty basic kit, but it had some nice detailing and engraved panel lines. Starting with the interior it was quite a simple affair, with a simple tub and very basic moulded dials and switches on the instrument panels. These were then painted with a mix of Tamiya Yellow Green with a few drops of Green added to give a little contrast to a very blank canvas. I also shaded to the side walls and main
Cockpit area using a slightly lighter mix of the base colour then a black green oil was used to bring out what detail there was. With the cockpit all completed it was time to button up the fuselage, and while that was set to one side, it was on with the engine. This was a one-piece affair and with some careful painting and an oil wash it came out quite well. This was glued inside the cowling and this was then
attached to the main body. Next came the wings, which were pretty straightforward. The canopy was then masked-off and the front section was glued in place, with the rear part tacked onto the upper fuselage to save masking up the interior. The wheel wells were then painted up the same interior colour as the cockpit then Maskol was used to seal up the bays.
The entire model was then given a primer coat of Black and this followed by and overall application of Tamiya XF-4 Blue, with a little post-shading added to lighten various areas and to give the paintwork a sun beaten look. To further accentuate the panel lines I choose to airbrush on some Tamiya Smoke, and once dry the aircraft was given a few light coats of Johnsons ‘Klear’ prior to an oils pin-wash thinned white spirits, and any excess was wiped away with a soft cloth. The decals were then applied without any problems.
The final details such as the wheels undercarriage lets, wheel bay door, propeller and payload were then added. The last thing to was to apply a matt coat to seal everything in. Despite being a basic kit I was very happy how it turned out, and you can see how it earned its nickname ‘Whistling Death’.