Cockpit detailing and mods…
A quick dry-fit of the cockpit reveals a good level of detail. The left side looks a bit sparse, but more on that in a little while. The seat looks very plain (like most kit seats) and will need the most attention to bring it up to scratch.
The cockpit from another angle. I am sure resin sets will be produced for this kit, however I don’t want to wait for them (they are now available – G). I think that with some good references we can make some small enhancements and get a good result.
Above we see the tub from the other side. According to my references, something will need to be done about the lack of detail of the left side near the throttle quadrant.
In accordance with my references (primary one was the Aerofax Minigraph #12), I’ve used some plasticard and Reheat PE cockpit details to “busy up” the left side of the tub.
To enable easier access to the back of the intake trunking for painting, I decided to cut off the rear blanking plate (the intake on the right has had the surgery applied). A new plate will be made from card when all the interior painting is complete.
Test-fitting the enhanced tub into the fuselage. Here also we can see the work done to the head of the seat. Also notice how the seat cushion has been sanded down to look less “square” and give it more of a cloth look.
The cockpit from the opposite side. The canopy pressure seal (on the rear bulkhead the top of the seat) was created from stretched sprue. The seat will receive a complete harness and belts from lead foil later on.