Price around: $12.00 Canadian
My sincere thanks to Iliad Design for supplying our review sample – get this excellent quality sheet here now at www.iliad-design.com
A little bit about Iliad DesignI had the good fortune to connect with Bob Migliardi at Iliad Design and he has sent over some new decal sheets that they produce – and great quality they are too! Iliad Design also produces books and colour charts and I strongly recommend that you visit their website above to see exactly what’s on offer.
It’s good to have the RAF P-47 Thunderbolt covered in 1:48 and markings all on one sheet. The quality looks to be excellent with good solid whites in the roundels and codes where appropriate and opaque colours for the remaining markings. The carrier film looks to be very thin and minimal excess on view. Detail is very high quality with just the lighter of the two blues very slightly misaligned on the tail fin markings but that’s easily cured with a small trim. All other markings are perfectly in register and alignment – especially the roundels.
Accuracy looks spot on to my eye and you get some very interesting schemes too covering no less than 6 aircraft:
- Thunderbolt II (P-47D-30), KL328 of No. 73 OTU at Fayid, Egypt early 1945. Overall weathered natural metal with dark Olive Drab anti-glare panel
- Thunderbolt I (P-47D-22), HB982 of 135 Sqn, Chittagong, December 1944. Standard scheme for theatre: Dark Earth and dark Green with Medium Sea Grey undersides
- Thunderbolt II (P-47D-28), KJ278 of 79 Sqn, Wangjing, early 1945. Standard scheme with white CBI ID markings
- Thunderbolt II (P-47D-30), KL315 of No 42 Sqn, Meiktila, mid 1945. Overall weathered natural metal, with Dark Olive Drab anti-glare panel along fuselage top
- Thunderbolt II (P-47D-28), KJ194 of 134 Sqn, Arakan, early 1945. The aircraft is in the theatre-standard scheme with white CBI ID markings
- Thunderbolt II (P-47D-28), KJ140 of No 30 Sqn, East Bengal, December 1944. Theatre-standard scheme of Dark Earth and dark Green, with Medium Sea Grey under surfaces.
The instruction sheet is full colour and has clear profiles indicating the location of all markings.