Some initial thoughts
Subject choice: this may not be to everyone’s taste, but this aircraft really flew (amazing when you consider the design) and will add a lot of interest to any model collection. Personally I really like the subject and plan to get into the build and show that in full very soon here in Build Now, so also keep an eye out for that!
The second point worthy of note is the whole approach that ZM take with their product range – highly detailed, accurate and authentic models; no, scale replicas of the real thing. This means that what you get is a whole lot more than in a typical 1:48 scale kit and the same approach is taken in their larger 1:32 scale models. Specifically you get fully detailed interiors and I reckon that you probably fall into one of two schools of thought on this:
- Hey, wow all that detail – fantastic, can’t wait to add it, or…
- I can’t really see the point if it’s going to get covered up
As a general rule, I fall into the second category but I am going to reserve judgement here until I am well into the build and see exactly what you can display open – especially if this can be done in a realistic way.
- Quality of tooling – very high, with fine recessed detail across the board
- Small amounts of excess flash on parts / mould seams that need to be removed but nothing too taxing
- The level of detail is exceptional with fully detailed cockpit, rear fuselage, gun bays and nose interior detailing
- See the attached photos as they will really give you an idea of what’s involved and more importantly the possibilities that are extensive with such a detailed and seemingly well-engineered model
- Instructions are detailed and paint references are included for pretty much all the painting at each stage of the build – Vallejo colour references only are provided but at least the colour names are given and that should help you to source your choice of paint from whatever range you prefer
Here’s my summary
I have to say that when I first saw this subject I wasn’t too wowed by it but then I knew very little about the subject, then after reading up much more my interest has grown a lot and now I can’t wait to get into the build. My plan as I write is to finish the Airfix Javelin that is nearly there, continue with the big Trumpeter Me 262B-1a (long-term) build and get straight into this Shin Den ☺ . You’ll soon be able to see how it all goes together and what I make of it and you can make your own mind up.
SMN Quick summary Star rating out of 5
|FEATURE||STAR RATING (out of five)|
|Quality of moulding||****|