In-Box Browse with Geoff Coughlin (November 2020)
More information and to buy this kit, visit Zoukei-Mura now.
Many of you will have seen my full build of the original SWS/ZM F-4E Phantom II, Early in 1:48 and you can find that in the usual place for all completed Zoukei-Mura kits in Aircraft Finished Now.
In addition, I did a full in-box browse for that kit that forms the basis for this special Phantom Forever 2020 F-4EJ Kai release.
We have received the new kit and copy instructions (minus new box) and await the fantastic new decal sheet for the Kai anniversary scheme which I expect to arrive shortly. I’ll post photos of the new decal sheet as soon as it’s available. I am already into the build of the new kit and will start to run that in SMN very soon, so watch out for that.
So what follows is, my original video and following that a detailed breakdown below of the new/optional parts to use for making the F-4EJ Kai variant that are included in the new boxing.
Details of the “P” Sprue, Exclusive to F-4EJ Kai
- Fin tip: Changed to J/APR-6 antennas (JASDF-exclusive antennas).
- Fuselage spine antenna: Changed from UHF antenna to V/UHF antenna.
- Centre of the rear seat: Added lower monitor.
- Tailcone popup door: Added tail light.
*The addition of the J/APR-6 antennas to the “1. Fin Tip” caused a blind spot for the tail light at the tip of the tail. Therefore an additional tail light was added to the tailcone popup door.
- Changed lever for rear seat right-side console.
- Undercarriage door antenna: Added V/UHF antenna.
- Added instruments to rear seat side console.
- Central canopy divider: Changed shape of seat separation panel.
- Left wing tip: Changed to J/APR-6 antenna (JASDF-exclusive antenna).
- Front seat right-side console: Changed instrument layout, including switches.
- Rear seat left-side console: Changed instrument layout, including switches.
- Right wing tip: Changed to J/APR-6 antenna (JASDF-exclusive antenna).
- Front seat left-side console: Changed instrument layout, including switches.
- Rear seat right-side console: Changed instrument layout, including switches. Attached “5. lever for rear seat right-side console”.
- Nose radome: Added a total of seven lightning strips (static dischargers).
- Front seat instrument panel: Changed instrument layout, including switches.
- Rear seat instrument panel: Changed instrument layout, including switches, added “3. centre of the rear seat lower monitor”.
- Anti-glare shield: The F-4EJ Kai uses a Kaiser HUD instead of the F-4EJ’s optical sight,. Therefore the base for “20. Combiner (parts 6 and 7 on the clear L sprue)” is shown in the moulding.
Other optional parts that can be chosen from common runners with the F-4E Early kit
Rear view mirror for rear seat (on C sprue):
In general, was only one mirror in the center of the leading edge of the rear seat canopy in the F-4E Early, but in the F-4EJ Kai this is changed to be one on each side of the canopy partition for a total of two mirrors.
*This varies depending on the aircraft.
HUD combiner (parts 6 and 7 on the clear L sprue):
Changed to be two glass projection parts.
Drop tanks (parts 13 and 15 on the armament B sprue):
Changed to be Hi-G tanks.
Stabilator reinforcements (parts 24 to 27 on R sprue):
Added reinforcement panels on upper and lower surfaces for both sides.
Vulcan cannon fairing (parts 23 and 24 on M sprue):
Changed to be long-tipped flash suppressors.
• – As a JASDF aircraft, as a general rule the AIM-7/-9 and other weapons are not equipped to the wings or undercarriage.
• – Changed launcher type.
• – Chaff dispenser (R sprue) is optional to add or omit.