Price around £17.99 GBP (Mar 2013)
Review by Geoff Coughlin
The Tamiya kit
If you’ve ever seen the 1:32 scale model of the Zero that this manufacturer released several years ago now, you’ll know just how good that model is. Indeed we have many Tamiya model projects in Finished Now including Dave C’s impressive 1:32 Tamiya Zero build too, so do take a few minutes some time to look at that and you’ll see what I mean!
Well, come down a couple of scales to 1:72 and you’ll find this impressive model from Tamiya. Eduard are establishing themselves at the forefront of 1:72 scale aircraft modelling but Tamiya are certainly at the top of the tree as well and this Zero model typifies why. Read on…
The photos should speak for themselves but here are a few observations that illustrate the quality of the package on offer:
- Panel line detail – looks to extremely accurate and precise; not too deep or shallow but spot on for the scale in modelling terms
- Overall shape and quality – simply out of the top drawer – really fine and thin trailing edges to the rudder and wings/tailplane. The shape looks to be about as good as it gets
- Cockpit – looks very complete, especially for the scale: seat, floor (especially), control column and side wall moulded detail look good and ample in 1:72
- Engine – pretty impressive again. You really don’t see much of the cylinder detail on the zero because of the rounded, aerodynamic shape of the cowling but there’s enough there to create interest
- Undercarriage – again looks very accurate and in the scale little will need to be added if at all, just personal preference as to whether to add some brake lines
- Canopy and clear parts – a dry-fit of these shows an almost flawless fit. Open or closed options as supplied are excellent , as is the clarity and thinness of the polystyrene
- Decals – cover three options and the main instrument dials and seat harness are supplied as decals too. The latter I’m not sure about, even in 1:72 scale but the dials are great.
All very familiar and logical as you’d expect from Tamiya. This is a simple kit and even with the decent levels of detailed supplied will be easy to assemble and finish. I really like the way the cockpit can be installed from underneath once you have joined the fuselage – this makes cleaning up and minimising damage to your finished cockpit much better.
Overall then a rare 5-Star rating from me!
SMN Quick Summary
|FEATURE||STAR RATING (out of five)|
|Quality of moulding||*****|